The Organic Lunchbox
Even though schools have a ways to go before going organic, there are still many options for providing your child with healthy, fun, and organic options. From organic options to fun finger foods, here are some ideas when packing a school lunch:
Substituting organic meats, cheeses, fruits, and vegetables can significantly reduce the consumption of antibiotics, herbicides, pesticides, and other harsh chemicals found in processed foods.
Choose fun snacks
Replacing high-fat, processed lunch and after-school snacks with healthier organic options is another way to provide your kids with extra nutrition:
- Pickles—this zesty snack doubles as fun finger food and is easy to pack or serve up after school.
- Hardboiled eggs—organic eggs provide a great source of protein. Decorate a hardboiled shell with stickers or a message from mom and dad!
- Sliced carrots and celery—couple these sticks with peanut or almond butter, raisins, or fresh cheese.
- Pita pockets—fill a pocket with organic hummus, meats, cheeses, and vegetables for a fun variation on sandwiches.
- Pizza—made the night before, this is a great interactive cooking lesson as well as a balanced meal.